Friday, June 19, 2009

Vegetarian Traveling

If you are wondering why I started this blog and then never post to it anymore, I can explain. I've been traveling since the beginning of May 2009, and I plan to be away for a total of a year. This hasn't given me much time for coming up with new recipes. Lately we've been in Turkey, not the most vegetarian-friendly country I've been to. Actually in some parts, it has been little to none, as far as finding veggie food is concerned. I have been doing a little bit of cooking there, in my studio hotel rooms, which give me a hot plate and a fridge. So it's mostly been spaghetti and tomato sauce. Boring!

I've decided if I can't cook, and I can't share recipes for now, I'm going to keep you up to date on where we have (and have not) found awesome vegetarian food around the world.

So Turkey was a bust, for the most part. We went there excited for mezzes and tons of falafel. First stop, Istanbul. We didn't see a single falafel ball the whole time we were there. I guess falafel is not as Turkish as we thought. We did find out a few things: Turkey has some of the best and freshest tomatoes and cucumbers I have ever had, and we ate a lot of those!
We also found two vegetarian restaurants. In a city of 20 million people, only two! And they happened to be right across the street from each other. One was called Parsifal, which was reasonably priced and had a pretty large standard, reasonably priced veggie menu. Things like stir-fry veggies, pastas, salads, and fried veggie burgers.The other restaurant is called Zencefil and was a little more expensive, but had really unique items, and everything was ridiculously fresh. I would recommended both of these places, if stuck in Istanbul missing vegetarian food like I was.
Our next stop on the round the world tour is Berlin. I am so excited because that place has almost every cuisine you can think of and you can find a vegetarian substitute for any normally meaty food. Think Hamburgers, Hot dogs, even Kebabs! I can't wait. I'll let you know all of our finds soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment